Pros of Google Scholar
- Easy to use
- Google Scholar will give you automatic citations (APA and MLA) for sources found.
- Results are ranked considering who a document was written by and how often/how recently it has been cited by others.
- Searches items most regular Internet search engines don't index like books, articles, technical reports, and more.
Cons of Google Scholar
- Full text articles are often not available.
- There is a lot of information on social science and humanities topics. Better coverage is given to technology and hard sciences (i.e. physics, chemistry, biology, etc.)
- Google Scholar searches only a portion of the academic literature, certainly not all of it. It's difficult to know what is covered and what is not. Google Scholar should not be used as a replacement for the Hennepin Technical College research databases.
- Outdated results may appear at the top of the results list.